New for Autumn 2023, the Cathedral Living Timeline is suitable for Key Stage 2 and schools are invited to book now.
At the heart of this new educational experience for schools will be an interactive guided tour of the Cathedral, making use of recently-commissioned, authentic period costumes and real and replica artefacts to tell the story of the Cathedral and Bradford itself, in a colourful, interactive and inclusive way.
The Cathedral Living Timeline will help children to make sense of the past, going all the way back to Bradford in Saxon times, and also to understand how this has shaped 21st century Bradford, in all its rich cultural diversity.
Children will encounter different historical periods in various locations, learning about the people and events that shaped the Cathedral and Bradford’s story, through costumes and artefacts.
The experience includes:
- the “broad ford” and Bradford in Saxon times
- the Norman period and the de Lacy family
- stonemasons and the building of the church
- Tudor Bradford
- the English Civil War and why the church tower was wrapped in woolsacks
- famous astronomer and mathematician Abraham Sharp
- Victorian Bradford, including William Scoresby, education, mills and William Morris
- Bradford – a new city and a new cathedral;
- WW1 Bradford, including the Bradford Pals and Louisa Pesel;
- twentieth century immigration;
- Bradford today- Bradford’s communities living together
- and much, much more!
Maggie Myers, Director of Education and Visitors, says:
“We are so excited to be able to offer this new and unique experience for schools.
“As we approach Bradford 2025, this is the perfect time for pupils to discover the Cathedral’s significant role in Bradford’s history, stretching back almost 1,400 years to the Saxon era, and to learn more about the events, influences and people that have made Bradford – their home – the distinctive place it is today.
“We can’t wait to share Bradford’s stories with them!”
You can book the Cathedral Living Timeline now for October 2023 onwards. Thursdays only (AM & PM sessions available). Please contact email@example.com to book the experience. Early booking is advisable.